Back in 1924, a group of visionary businessmen, led by John E. Cole, decided the national capital needed a cemetery that would reflect the city’s natural beauty and offer families personalized choice and service. That year, they banded together to purchase a peaceful 20-acre corner of land on the western outskirts of Ottawa, on what is now Baseline Road. Named Pinecrest Cemetery, the location was the site of its first interments in 1926.
As Ottawa grew further and further west, Pinecrest Cemetery grew with it, expanding by 30 acres in 1956. By 1962, the cemetery became the site of the only crematorium between Toronto and Montreal. An urn garden and outdoor niche wall were also added. As the neighbourhood changed, so did Pinecrest; in 1968, a second chapel was built and, with cremation becoming a more acceptable choice, a second crematorium and indoor columbarium room were built in 1970. Eight years later, Eastern Ontario's first garden crypt mausoleum was completed for those families preferring above-ground burial. Pinecrest also purchased and established a second property, Highland Park Cemetery, in rural Carp. Indoor and outdoor crypts were added to Pinecrest in 1984 and 1990.
In 1993, Cole Funeral Services was founded and offered Ontario’s first full service facility with on-site visitation and reception areas. Throughout 2005 to 2011, the company continued to expand and add personalized services and choice to Ottawa families, through a 9000 sq.ft. addition of visitation rooms and the construction of the Mausoleum of Peace and Tranquility.
Through our network of professional organizations, Pinecrest Remembrance Services accesses expertise and resources that benefit the families of Ottawa. Through these relationships, we can offer new options and enhancements to our community.
For more information about our affiliations, visit:
Pinecrest Remembrance Services
2500 Baseline Rd
Ottawa, ON K2C 3H9
Telephone: (613) 829-3600
Fax: (613) 829-8357